Sometimes, us sign-people take for granted the lingo we throw around concerning the signage industry. Thus, we don’t realize that many of our customers may not be aware of what we are speaking about. So, LED Pros has compiled a list of some of the most common sign types with a short description for each. This is to help your better understanding of the different types of signs.
Main Sign Types
- Static Signs: these are usually referring to any non-digital signs. As the name entails, these depict a non-moving message.
- Digital Signs: are unlike static signs in that they don’t have to necessarily display something static, have options to move the message being displayed through playlists, scrolling effects etc. These most often made up of LED modules, but can sometimes be LCD (like a TV) screens.
- Neon Signs: these are non-LED signs that use gas-discharging tubes to illuminate the sign. These sign types are becoming less common due to their shorter life span and more maintenance than LED signs.
- Channel Letters: are three-dimensional static signs that can be lit or un-lit. They are usually placed on the store front to showcase the brand of the company inside the building.
- Programmable Signs: these are any digital signs that contain software, so the sign can easily be updated.
- Pylon Signs: are signs that are generally freestanding signs that incorporate different types of signage in one structure. They can also incorporate different sign types within the structure.
- Billboard Signs: are large signs that be both static (non-digital) or digital. These are primarily used for advertising.
- Signboards: are a sign type that resemble smaller billboard signs that have four legs and are placed on the ground. They are usually placed on road sides and can easily attract customers due to their stopping power.
- Safety Signs: any sign that is used for safety purposes, is a safety sign. These can be digital signs like trailer message boards, or a simple stop sign you see all over the place.
If you notice one that we haven’t listed and you aren’t sure about, contact us. Then we can help you better understand the different types of signs.